My Story

Five years ago, I was a energetic mom of two kids, and a small business owner with two locations. I exercised every day and had a ton of energy.

In April of 2009, I took a trip to a state south of Montana. About a week after I returned home, I experienced the worst illness I had ever had up to that point in my life. I had very high fever, chills, body aches and was bed ridden for over a week. This was the height of the “Swine Flu” epidemic, so I was sure that I had caught it from the airplane ride. After being down for a few weeks, I recovered. (Or so I thought)-

My husband and I had decided to have a third baby- so exciting! I had gotten pregnant very easily with the previous two so we thought this would be a piece of cake. However, within two months of my “mystery illness” I became pregnant and miscarried. And then a few months later, I miscarried again.

A battery of tests revealed I had Hashimoto’s, an autoimmune disease that causes low thyroid levels. I was given a pill to take daily and told my problems were now solved.

Unfortunately, it wasn’t that easy though. I still wasn’t pregnant, and I was now catching any virus I was exposed to. As soon as I would go off of the antibiotics, the symptoms would come back. The Dr would prescribe stronger and stronger meds, until I was taking Levaquin almost non-stop.

My doctor told me that owning childcare centers was making me sick and that the little kids were petrie dishes that my body couldn’t handle. After a lot of discussion, my husband and I decided to follow the doctor’s advice and sell. Anything to just get better. So after working in childcare for ten years and never having a problem before, I now walked away from the only career I had known as an adult because it “wasn’t good for me.”

With the business sold, I was optimistic that things were going to soon improve. Only they didn’t. I started developing asthma like symptoms and with that, anxiety. The doctors (I had seen many by this point) had me eating steroid pills, shooting steroids up my nose and inhaling them twice a day too. 40 lbs gained and a lot of money lost and I was still getting worse.

I repeatedly told my husband that I felt like I was falling apart and losing my mind all at the same time. I had been this vibrant, energetic person, and now it was a struggle to walk from the couch to the bathroom. Yet another trip to the doctor, and I was now diagnosed with depression and up to 14 pills a day of prescribed medications.

Somehow, in the middle of all this, I did manage to finally get pregnant and give birth to a beautiful baby girl. However, after the pregnancy, I started having severe heavy bleeding and cramping that would occur for three out of four weeks every month. Cue another trip to the doctor and a hysterectomy.

Even without a uterus, I still somehow managed to continue the bleeding- so yep, you have it, another trip to the doctor and a “hysterectomy revision”. They were positive with my symptoms that I had severe endometriosis, but once they had me cut open they found nothing. The doctor concluded I had “tired female muscles”.

I started developing blurred vision, and extremely painful joints. My legs would start twitching after the littlest exercise. I was given antidepressants, synthetic thyroid,allergy medications, steroids and now weight loss stimulants. I was now fat, tired and miserable at the age of 34.

Thinking this was just my lot in life, I tried to make the best of it. My general practitioner had told me repeatedly that things tend to go south once you hit your thirties. While in my heart I knew this didn’t jive, I couldn’t deny the symptoms I was feeling and the lack of a diagnosis or treatment to make them go away.

In May of this last year, my Dr. announced he was moving to another town. He had just run yet another thyroid test and made a change to my dosage, however I would need to find another Dr. to do the follow up test to ensure the dosage was correct because he would no longer be here at the required time.

By this point, I had been to over 13 doctor’s offices, made over six trips to the emergency room and even one trip to a specialist in Seattle. My health was not improving and the list of diagnoses was growing with every visit. I started my quest to find another Dr. to follow my care, although at this point I felt like it was more to document my deterioration than anything else.

After talking to a few friends, I decided to try an integrative physician. June 4, 2014 was my first visit to her and the day my life changed. She spent an hour and a half with me, going over my health records and symptoms.

After listening to my long diatribe about how I am just a mess and will never get better, she asked me the question that would eventually give me my life back. “Have you ever been tested for lyme?’ I looked at her like she was nuts…. “No, I don’t ever remember being bit, and besides, we don’t have lyme in Montana.” She said “Well let’s just get the test and see.”

I thank God every day that I did! The test results came back positive, (even by CDC standards) and I started treatment soon after. While I still have some symptoms, and there have been bumps in the road, like my PICC line having to be taken out due to incorrect placement,thingsย will get better!ย  I know this is a marathon, not a sprint, but I have answers now and hope for my future!!

18 thoughts on “My Story

  1. Hello!
    It is wonderful to read about your recovery! Thank you so much for sharing your story!
    I have very much the same path behind me as you did with it taking forever before eventually being diagnosed with Lyme. I just found out in the beginning of feb.
    I am now thinking about going to St Georg (i actually have a admission date next week). It’s just that the doctors that I have talked to are not familiar with the clinic and they have “heard unconvincing stuff” about the efficacy of the treatment.
    How did you find enough study material to convince yourself that the treatment was the right thing to go for?
    Still, so happy for you and your daughter to have regained your lives!


    1. Thank you for reading! ๐Ÿ™‚
      As far as listening to any doctors here in the U.S., I was fortunate that my doctor that diagnosed and treated me for lyme was 100% for me going. She believes in the science and has seen some pretty miraculous recoveries from cancer via the hyperthermia method.
      I just read quite a bit and talked to countless people who had been successfully treated there. One of the reasons I decided to do this blog and document my experience good or bad, was because it seemed to me that all of the patients who were doing better post treatment did have to be individually tracked down because they were off living life. They weren’t the ones on the message boards or Facebook groups, understandably they were ready to put lyme behind them. I made a promise to myself that especially if it did work for me, I would tell anyone that would listen! ๐Ÿ™‚


  2. Hello Shannon! I have been back home for two weeks now! Thank you for caring โ˜บ๏ธ! I have not noticed great changes yet and I think I might have a coinfection biting me, because some new symptoms have started to occur, while some of the old ones seem to have eased away or changed. I am a little confused and oviously restless to experience some change for better. I am sure you know how it is!
    My treatments went really well, which is great. The IV’s were harsh even while my veins are usually pretty strong, and the relief after the last one was overwhelming. I also found the Hypertermia part of the trip somehow the easiest of maybe the whole thing. I was quite alright and alert right after I woke up, both of the times, which my husband found funny, since all the other patients seemed to just be really exhausted for one or two days after the hypertermias.
    I am also excited to read about your test results, and so happy for you and your daughter to have recovered so well!


  3. Thank you shannon for all this great information. It gives me hope that I will get better. I’ll need to do some big fundraising efforts to get there, and maybe rob a few banks, but it’s going to happen! ๐Ÿ™‚


  4. Hi Shannon really hope the second treatment helps ur daughter! I went last jul and was very well for 5 months but have relapsed v badly since I took anti malarials in jan. contemplating going back but SgK have been stalling with me for two months ;(. Just wondering if they retreated ur daughter for a cheaper price second time ? Fingers crossed she has wonderful results and a remission like u soon!!;)


  5. Hi Shannon,
    I’ve been reading through your blog as I’ve had lyme since 2012 but was only recently diagnosed and started antibiotics. I’m wondering- did you try the antibiotic route first and for how long or just go straight to Germany?


  6. Hi Shannon, my mom and I are looking into visiting the Klinik, and were wondering if you thought it was completely worth it, since your daughter Chloe didn’t get completely better with her first treatment there. I’ve been struggling with Lyme for 4 years now, diagnosed last year and since then been doing failed treatment after treatment. I wish you & your family the best!
    God Bless


    1. I completely think it’s worth it!! We have been working with the klinik on getting Chloe better and what we have discovered is that she is most likely dealing with only Bartonella and that the Lyme was taken care of in Germany. I’m happy to answer any questions you have. Good Luck!! I’m wishing you the best! ๐Ÿ™‚


  7. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! So it was strictly two weeks? That sounds a lot better than some of the clinics I’ve talked to in the US. Obviously it’s a large investment either way but I’ve heard the best results from the St Georg Klinik, and it’s on the “less expensive” side. Is there any way we could chat on the phone or via email? I know my mom and I have a lot of questions.


  8. Hello Shannon (and Erica&Tony, who greeted me on the wall here)!
    How are you and how is Chloe doing? Have you found good medication for Bartonella? I am glad to hear that you have received help from St George to figure out treatment for her!
    I have not been well after St George either. I want to think that the Lyme is dead, my tests have been equivocal for borrelia, but always a different type than before. My US doctor thinks the borrelia could very well be dead, and that the results are to be interpreted negative, so that what I am still dealing with is just Bart/Babesia. It is quite frustrating though, because they are not easy to eradicate, and I really hope Chloe has found a cure and that she is doing well!! All the best to you both!


  9. Could we discuss via email? I have some uppsetting news, that my latest Borreliatests are bright positive all the way through. All strands.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s